Friday 16 September 2011

Fruitful seasons

It's been a productive few weeks.
For the first time in seven years, my lovely hubby and I went away on our own, courtesy of my brother and his wonderful wife and their beautiful Bath town house. We had a lovely time, mooching (great word!) about, getting up when we wanted to, going out of the house without having to dress 5 children for whatever weather the next few hours may contain, and basically eating lots!


One of our favourite pass times is good food - mostly cooking it together, but also on the rare occasion a restaurant. And we just had to visit Jamie's, didn't we!


I have to say, it was right up our street. Great food, lively and welcoming atmosphere, originality and creativity and best of all, the chance to watch the chefs working away in the kitchen and the hustle and bustle of the waiting staff preparing bread baskets and drinks. They seemed genuinely happy, and that's got to rub off on you when you're eating their food, hasn't it?! Having worked in restaurants, as a waitress and behind the scenes as a cooking the kitchens, I know that it doesn't have to be shouting and swearing to make it work. There just has to be good working relationship where everyone knows their role and a healthy amount of fun and laughter. That's what food's about - and I really think it tastes better when it's made with a giggle. And that's why I love cooking with my husand! Mmmmmmm....


One lovely treat was to be able to have an undisturbed hour to draw a thank you present for our hosts of their house. I hope they enjoy looking at it as much as I did that hour.


Since getting back, the house has been a flurry of clearing out and making ship shape. We both came back inspired to make our home work for us and our family as we grow into a new season of life. The children are growing quick (too quick!) and we packed the cot away for the fifth time. I have cleared a huge cupboard of years of "too precious to throw out, but not urgent enough to sort out" boxes of photos and memories and we have both filled the recycling bin with our University notes. I now have a Redeem Creations stockroom in said cupboard and very organised under bed boxes full of birthday cards, first drawings and hospital bracelets......sigh.

Time for a new season of fruitfulness.

The Little ones continue to make me smile and I reminded myself this week that one day I will miss finding random toys in my pan cupboard


and the sight of freshly washed soft toys drying.


One day soon I won't be searching frantically everywhere for teddy before bed,


sticking autumn leaves to bits of paper,


or sharing the wonder of colourful balloons in the last sunny days of the summer.


But I am excited about the days to come; helping my boys become young men and gradually finding little windows of time to create.

It's all good.

2 comments: