Wednesday 19 October 2011

One Step at a Time



Every day is a new beginning. Even when the night has been LONG and disturbed! After a broken night, the last thing I wanted to do this morning was the pile of housework that had accumulated whilst I hid in the studio over the last week or so. However, the washing will always be with us and it's never good when there is more weetabix on the floor than on the table, (there you go - I've let you into my awful secret - this home looks lived in!). So a morning of home making was well and truly required!

Now I'm sitting here in the peace of this hour, most of the children in bed - one on his way, and feeling most content. I know my home isn't going to feature in any magazine. I know I struggle sometimes to find an inch of clear space to take photos of the things I make. I know there are seven people living here - Oh, my goodness, do I know! However, I also know that every clean surface, every freshly washed bed, every dinner cooked, every drawer full of folded clothes, every school project completed.....


.....is hard won in this house - as I am sure it is in yours! These are small achievements in the grand scheme of things - but taken together, they ARE the grand scheme - not the cleanliness - that's a means to an end. I mean the LOVE that is poured out and into making this home and family work like what my husband's dad called a "well oiled machine" the other day!!!


It doesn't always work like that. A lot of the time we are tearing around the place trying to find the lost football sock, or the form for parent's evening, or trying to cook dinner with a screaming toddler clinging to both legs. That's why I think it's important - for me, and probably some of you, to learn to sit in the peace, with the hum of the washing machine in the back ground and the sound of sleeping children on the monitor and remember that on the whole, you're doing OK.


You're doing OK.


And because I didn't want to show you photos of the washing pile (although I'm sure it would have made you feel a whole lot better about yours) or the weetabix on the floor (the food equivalent of cement), I have included some pictures of the projects I am working on in my hard won studio time. Hopefully a little bit more interesting and colourful!

Tomorrow is another day!
xxxxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Naomi, what a lovely post. Keep on, keeping on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Naomi, our house seems to be littered with cheerio's at the moment, and we only have one littleie to make the mess!
    I remember this time last year peeling and cooking up lots of apples and blackberries for the freezer and talking to myself, and my bump (Jacob!) wondering if he/ she would get to eat some of them, and sure enough he has! What a wonder!
    And yet today I managed to get me knickers in a twist about all the slightly mouldy and bruised windfall apples we've been given this autumn, and how it was going to take forever to get them peeled! Well, I set to it ( while Jacob helpfully played with the dishwasher!) and now I'm feeling good, I have plenty of apple sauce tucked away in the freezer and a beautiful bundle, sleeping soundly, tucked up in his warm little cot. On this side of the jobs I am thankful. Thankful that there are toys to pick up, another little mouth to feed and the fun of a daily game of 'hunt the cheerios'!

    ReplyDelete