Sunday 31 July 2011

Grabbing the moment


It's been a typically busy week and both Grown Up Welchs have been full on engaged in various all-consuming activities, holiday club deliveries, Make Space inaugural workshops, young carers camps and such. Today was a day to get together again and we spent the afternoon in one of our favourite spots, on the top of Bignor Hill. Our old car just about made it to the top with all 6 children in the back (one friend came along too) and we set up camp around the sign post, as we usually do.



It was busy up there today - but sometimes that works in your favour when you bring along a hoard of children! At least it wasn't just us disturbing the peace and tranquility of the South Downs! So, while football, rugby, chalk finding and tree climbing went on, I was afforded the rare luxury of daylight magazine reading, all hastilly packed up in my Mag Bag. One of my favourite finds right now (as I am sure I have already mentioned) is Molly Makes. Leafing through its colourful pages, packed with websites I want to look up, books I want to buy, ideas I want to try and things I want to make - it's almost too much! In fact, it makes me feel a strange mixture of inspired excitement and anxiety - isn't that odd!? When am I ever going to find the time to pursue all these avenues, and when will I ever be able to realise my dreams in the way the people on these pages seem to?


I say this, because I have had conversations with many of you who feel the same way - not just about Molly Makes, but about life in general. It's an especially tricky thing when you are mum to little ones - the balancing act and the constant decisions about which dreams to lay down until children allow (knowing that the time may never come) and which to chase knowing that it is what gives you life and feeds life into your family.
What is reassuring to me is knowing that there are others out there who juggle the whole thing in much the same way as I do. Your time will come. For now, let's enjoy the precious, rare moments that life presents us - whether they are glorious craft interludes, or a hug with your growing-too-fast child - it's all good - it's all creative. Grab the little windows of opportunity.




And don't stop dreaming, dreamers.
(You know who you are )
XXXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment